Friday, June 17, 2011

Thrilling Themes: The Wild Wild West


Theme songs can make or break a show in my opinion (and my opinion is clearly the majority opinion always ;-D). Brilliant theme songs can elevate a show to legendary status -- and forever be stuck in the minds of all who hear it once.

One of my absolute favorite, if not favorite, theme songs of all time is for The Wild Wild West (one of the most obviously perfect products of television ever). The music itself is just utterly awesome and exciting and wunderbar. But then you add in the spectacular visuals, and you get a stylish and utterly '60s creation -- absolutely perfect for a show that is classified in the genre of sci-fi spy western.

1st season (B/W):



2nd-4th seasons (color):



Besides the change from B/W to color, there is also the added bit with James West punching the lady. This is actually very unlike Jim (first season is more realistic to the show) and he only hit a lady once in the entire series -- and it was actually a guy disguised as a lady (it's a long story ;-D). But, hey. It's all cool and she kinda deserved it, so... (Not a good plan to pull a knife on President Grant's greatest Secret Service Agent.)

Just hearing that music gets me all excited (and oddly wanting to eat a pack of Smarties...which is inexplicably strange) AND I REALLY NEED TO GO HAVE A WWW MARATHON. Okay, bye!

I'll be back tomorrow with another favorite theme song!

-Millie

Any WWW fans out there?!

3 comments:

Emm said...

I was buying candy at work tonight...and was inexplicably drawn to the Smarties. So here I sit at 3:00 AM, watching Joel McCrea and eating Smarties. I blame you and your evil brain-washing skills.

Millie said...

MWAHAHAHHAHAH!

I haven't eaten Smarties in YEARS. But, this greatly pleases me.

Also: JOEL MCCREA FOREVER! ;-D

Lisa said...

Definitely one of the best theme songs ever! I love TWWW and back when I worked at TNT I bought the show and we had a lot of great marathons and made new fans, too! I'll always be in love with Artemus Gordon!